Monday, April 23, 2007

My First Socks!

My first pair of socks! The pattern is Monkey from Knitty Winter 2006. The yarn is Knit Picks Memories in Rocky Mountain Dusk. I knit them on Knit Picks US#2 32" circs using the magic loop method. They are fraternal twins because the 2 skeins of yarns didn't match. Of course, I only kept 1 ball band after I wound them so I couldn't compare the lot numbers but the repeats of color in the 2 hanks were not even and the color is slightly brighter on 1 hank. At first, I was really upset that they weren't going to be identical but the lacy pattern makes it not as noticeable. Besides, they are socks after all and most of the time they are in my shoes anyway!

I have to say that even though the hanks didn't match, I love this yarn. It's 100% wool and oh so soft. I couldn't wait to wear them so they were worn twice before I took any photos so they are a little felted on the bottoms and have a little piling where they rubbed in my shoes. There are more photos on my Flickr page.

While this was my first pair of socks, it wasn't my first sock. My first sock was made sometime last year. It's Lion Brand Magic Stripes and I completed 1 sock. I made it on US#3 dpn. I found the dpn to be rather cumbersome and, even after I got the rhythm down, I was still knitting much slower than I usually do. I used Susan Bates aluminum needles and I think that was part of the problem. I kept grabbing the wrong needle at the end of a round and pulling out the one with the working stitches on it. Very frustrating. The cuff of the sock was 8" of 2x2 ribbing and I got so bored with it. I have to say I learned alot making that sock thought. It was the first time I had used dpn, worked short rows, or tried the kitchner stitch. I used an excellent on-line tutorial to learn how to make a sock. Even if I didn't end up with a pair it was still an invaluable experience.

After that first experience, I knew I didn't want to make socks on dpns again. I decided that I was going to make Patrick a pair of socks for his birthday. I knew I didn't have a lot of time because I couldn't start on them until I finished my Christmas knitting. I googled and found directions for two socks at one time on 2 circs. I got going on them and they were working out fairly well but still felt cumbersome with the needles hanging there amongst 2 balls of yarn and 2 cast on tails. I spent as much time untangling things as I did knitting. I googled again and decided to try my hand at 2 socks at one time on magic loop. This went better but still lots of tangling. When I got to the heel, I just couldn't figure out how to turn it and I thought the sock looked too small anyway, so off the the frog pond they went.

That probably would have been my last attempt at socks except for the fact that I had gotten some sock yarn for Christmas. The more I read about Monkey, the more I wanted to give these socks a try. They knit up great, a pattern that really grabs your attention. So, I cast on 1 sock on the magic loop. Once I realized how to visualize each part of the sock as needle 1, needle 2, etc. it was so easy. I know everybody has their preferences but magic loop is definitely the sock method for me.

I ordered some hand dyed yarn in a colorway that I had been looking for. I quickly cast on for my second pair of socks then I got stalled. The yarn is great and I love the colors but it has very long color repeats so I've had a hard time finding a pattern that it fits. I have to say that she did a great job with yarn because it stripes perfectly, better than any mass produced yarn I've seen. I finally just made up my own pattern. It's working out good but the pattern is mostly stockinette and I'm just bored with it. I do want to be able to wear them to work next week so hopefully that will motivate me to finish them soon. I'll post some photos soon.

The summer preview of Interweave Knits is up and there are several things in it that have me excited. I can't wait to get it. It's on newsstands May 15 so maybe I'll have mine by the end of May. In the meantime, I swatched up some Knit Picks Shine Worsted for the Ruffled Surplice that's on the cover of the Spring Issue. The stitch pattern looks great in the Shine Worsted and has a great drape to it.

I placed a Knit Picks order today. I ordered the Shine Worsted, a pattern and yarn for Hayden, some solid colored sock yarn, some miscellaneous stuff, and some sock yarn to dye. I can't wait for it to come.

I also emailed an inquiry about purchasing the pattern for the Felted Stained Glass Fan Bag. I haven't heard back from her yet. I am very anxious to start on this one too.

So much for being a project knitter. It looks like I'm about to have a whole bunch of WIPs!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Very nice! I have heard that the tutorial was very good. Hmmmmmm